My MicroBit Pedometer

On Friday, my class was given the challenge to create a pedometer using our microbit. You may ask, what is a pedometer? A pedometer tracks your steps during a certain time period using various sensors, the primary one being the accelerometer. Pedometers are often found in fit bits or smartwatches, or just by themselves.

A Simple Pedometer
A Microbit

Making a pedometer with the Microbit is possible in multiple ways. The first way we tried at school was using the shake feature. However, I found that this was not as accurate because if the pedometer was taped to my leg or shoe, it would not shake as it was secured down. Therefore, I suggested we try a different way; the accelerometer.

Now, this was A LOT more confusing than the shake. For example, I had to figure out how fast I walked in g-force. Tough.

One of the really difficult parts was making sure that my pedometer was only counting one step every time my leg moved. For example, if I didn’t tape the actual microbit to my leg, it would shake forward and backward for every step I took. I solved this by taping the wire right above the microbit onto my leg. (I needed a lot of tape for this!!!)

TAPE

Eventually, I figured it out! If you have any suggestions for me on how to make it more accurate, please drop a comment down below!

Here’s a video of me explaining my code:

And a video of me testing the code on my Microbit with 10 steps:

And guess what?

I dare you.

Guess.

I tried it with walking 100 steps, and watch the super short time lapse video down below to see what I got!!!

You probably can’t see if very well because of the time laps, but I got…..

101!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad, right?

That’s it from me! Hopefully you enjoyed reading about my MicroBit pedometer project!

Bye until next time,

Shivani